Danye's Moon

Because being a big sister is usually harder than it looks.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Trick or Treat...

For no reason at all, the other day I thought about our first Halloween together. You were four and a half. Your Mommy & I had decided not to take you out to trick or treat. You were quite upset by that but cheered up when you found out that you could still wear your costume. When you found out that there would still be candy involved you nearly drove us nuts with impatience. About every 15 minutes you would run into the living room asking if it was time yet. Mommy or I would tell you no and you would run back into your room. This went on all afternoon until Mommy finally said you could put on your costume.

What a costume! It was completely made up. You had wanted to be a Disney Princess, but we couldn't afford any of those costumes. So your clever Mommy invented a costume. She put together one of your favorite shirts, pink tights, and pink dancing skirt with some of your favorite toys - wings, wand, and tiara. And there you were, a fairy princess.


















You were in heaven. You wandered around the house granting wishes, casting spells, and occaisionally posing for a photograph. Then the real fun started. Kids began knocking on the door and it was your job to pass out the candy. Your Mommy and I figured you would eat more than you passed out, but we were wrong. You were so caught up in passing out the candy that you never stopped to put any in your own mouth.

Every child that came to the door got the full "Danyelle Treatment". You admired their costume, complimented them, gave them their candy, and thanked them for coming. Every single one of those kids was dazzled by your smile and your flattery. Each time you would exclaim, "That's the best costume I've ever seen!" And each time you meant it.

When it got really dark, the kids stopped coming. You were so sad, but Mommy told you that the leftover candy was yours. Your Halloween joy lasted far longer than the candy. It was all you could talk about for weeks. Just when we'd thought you had forgotten all about it, at Thanksgiving you sat in Grandpa Joe's lap and told him and Grandma Jenny all about it.



It made me smile then and it still does today. I look at how big you're getting and I'm a little sad that I'm missing you growing up. But then I look at these pictures and realize you'll always be my little fairy princess. If only in my heart.

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger SweetestT said...

That's exactly how I remember it. I think about that everytime I see those pictures. My favorite one is where she's holding her majic wand above her head.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Princess LadyBug said...

That's my fav pic too. She's just too adorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home